Monday, May 3, 2010

Migrants in Central Park

I had a great morning in Central Park yesterday, on a Bronx River-Sound Shore Audubon bird walk. Migration has been heavy the past few nights, and there were a lot of warblers around. I saw 16 myself, and in all of Manhattan 27 species were reported. I was too busy looking at the birds to take any photos though, so this post will be short.

In all I saw or heard 60 species. The highlights were great looks at an adult male Bay-breasted Warbler, a female Cerulean Warbler, my life Prairie Warblers, a Rusty Blackbird, awful looks at a flyover Red-headed Woodpecker, a Common Loon, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Brown Thrasher, Baltimore Oriole, Chiminey Swifts, Eastern Kingbird, and Great Crested Flycatcher. In addition to the three warblers already mentioned, I saw Blackpoll, Magnolia, Black-and-White, Ovenbird, Northern Parula, Northern Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Nashville, American Redstart, and the ubiquitous Yellow-rumped.

Others saw Summer Tanagers, Cape May Warblers, and Blackburnian Warblers, and there was a report of Brewster's Warbler, Chat, and a male Cerulean (ours was a female), but even without those it was an really fun morning of birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment